Postnatal Transitional Housing Program
The Postnatal Transitional Housing program provides support for young mothers, aged 16-21, and their babies. They live for up to 6 months in one of 10 partially furnished, self-contained apartment units. They pay modest rents, geared to their income. Residential counsellors and social workers ensure:
• mom is coping
• the attachment process is going well
• baby is thriving
• placement of the baby in the Early Learning program at the Centre. As with the prenatal program, young moms continue to:
• attend school, work or focus on pre-employment activities
• learn positive and effective parenting skills
• learn how to budget and shop for a household
• increase knowledge about how to access community resources
Upon successful completion of the first phase of the Postnatal Transitional Housing program, young moms may apply to move into one of 17 partially furnished, self-contained two-bedroom townhouses for six months giving them even greater independence but with continued support as they begin their transition back into the larger community.
For more information or to register, please call the Intake Social Worker at 416-425-6348 x 230.
"Abiona Centre not only gave me the ability to care for my child, but the motivation to get what I wanted for my life - to have my daughter with me and to live independently."
Abiona Centre is a client-centred infant and early childhood mental health organization which supports pregnant and parenting adolescents, aged 13 – 25.